- Common name: Avocado / Fruit
- Scientific name: persea americana
- CHamoru: alageta
- Filipino: abukado
Flavor profile: creamy
Best used as: fresh, salad
Avocado, Jicama, and Cucumber Salad
(a Lively Table recipe adapted for Guam’s local produce)
1 avocado, peeled and cubed
½ cup cucumber, cubed
½ cup of jicama, peeled and cubed
1 tbsp green onions
1 tbsp calamansi juice
Olive oil, sea salt, freshly cracked black pepper.
- Add avocado, cucumber, jicama, and green onions to a large bowl. Add calmansi juice
and stir gently.
- Drizzle lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste just before serving.
adapted from this recipe by allrecipes.com
- 3 avocados – peeled, pitted, and mashed
- 1/2 local lemon or 2-3 calamansi, juiced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup diced onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tomatoes, diced (or 5-6 cherry tomatoes)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 local hot pepper (adjust to taste)
In a medium bowl, mash together the avocados, lime juice, and salt. Mix in onion, cilantro, tomatoes, and garlic. Stir in cayenne pepper. Refrigerate 1 hour for best flavor, or serve immediately.
Avocado Toast (Vegan)
- 4 slices whole-grain bread
- 1 avocado, halved and pitted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 ½ teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ local lemon or 1 calamansi, juiced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Toast bread in a toaster or toaster oven.
- Scoop avocado into a bowl. Add parsley, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder; mash together using a potato masher. Spread avocado mixture into each piece of toast.
Tip: Add a fried or poached egg on top for extra protein.