- Common name: Cucumber
- Type: Vegetable
- CHamoru: Kamba
Flavor Profile: clean, fresh, slightly sweet
Best used as: fresh, pickled
Avocado, Jicama, and Cucumber Salad
(a Lively Table recipe adapted for Guam’s local produce)
1 avocado, peeled and cubed
½ cup cucumber, cubed
½ cup of jicama, peeled and cubed
1 tbsp green onions
1 tbsp calamansi juice
Olive oil, sea salt, freshly cracked black pepper.
- Add avocado, cucumber, jicama, and green onions to a large bowl. Add calmansi juice
and stir gently.
- Drizzle lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste just before serving.
Tropical Cucumber Salad
adapted from this recipe from Eatingwell.com
- 3-5 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated local lemon zest, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 medium cucumber, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 1 avocado, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 1 mango, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Whisk fish sauce to taste, lime zest, lime juice, oil, brown sugar, vinegar and crushed red pepper in a large bowl until combined. Add cucumber, avocado, mango and cilantro; gently toss to coat. Serve garnished with lime zest, if desired.
Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 hour.